Thursday, January 13, 2005

 

Rock N Roll Santa

I can't really tell you too much about Chicago's Jan Terri (her website seems to have vanished); I did manage to find a short film (scroll down) about her. A good analogue is (if you're from the Boston area like I am) our very own BJ Snowden. Except that Jan is a chauffeur, not a music teacher. I stumbled upon today's song on a compilation (buy it) of performances from the Chic-a-Go-Go TV show (a cable-access kids' dance show hosted by the effervescent Mia Park that has amazing musical guests).

Rock N Roll Santa

The CD came out in 2000 but Jan's track seems to have originally aired in December 1996. This is one of those songs that, after a few listens, latches onto your brain and refuses to let go. Oh, and to connect this to my most recent post, Yo La Tengo released a cover version on their limited edition Merry Christmas from Yo La Tengo EP in 2002 that, while good, doesn't quite measure up to the original.

Comments:
Hey, sorry to see this blog slowing down. It's become my favorite since the holidays, feeding my fix for Christmas coolness. In fact, just wanted to thank you: today I got my "Oklahoma" CD by Spearmint and I'm on my third listen. GREAT stuff, and I never would've known about it if not for your recommendation.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?