Friday, January 07, 2005

 

I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas With a Dalek

Ahh, the Christmas novely song. Today's track, by the Go Go's (no, not those Go-Go's!), dates to 1964 and was an attempt to cash-in on a new BBC television show, Dr. Who. Get a 17-year old singing as though she's five and have a 'Dalek' (the bad-guy robots from the show) on the track, saying things like "Happy Christmas" and "I love you" (!) and you've got something guaranteed to really bum-out the sci-fi nerds. (Maybe even throw in the riff from the Peter Gunn theme for good measure. Why not? It can't hurt, right?) I don't believe an outrage of that magnitude was perpetrated again until George Lucas unleashed Jar Jar Binks on an unsuspecting public in 1999.

I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas With a Dalek

This song can be found on the compilation CD Who Is Dr. Who (buy it), released in 2000 by the oh-so fab RPM label.

Comments:
Heh heh...I like it! Then again, I like a lot of awful fantasy/sci-fi novelty songs. Leonard Nimoy's "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" is a fave, as is the KLF remix of the Dr. Who theme. Thanks once again!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?