Sunday, December 26, 2004

 

I Caught My Girlfriend Kissing Santa

There are some fun genres of Christmas songs that I keep meaning to compile lists of but never seem to get around to doing. For example: songs about spending Christmas in jail, surfing xmas songs (there'd also be a far shorter list of skateboarding xmas songs), songs about Santa being wasted, and songs about Santa fooling around with the singer's girlfriend (or vice versa--the singer fooling around with Mrs. Claus).

I can't give you too much information about either of today's featured bands but I love both of these songs. The first is by Buffalo, New York band the Willies, from their 1994 album Get the Willies (on Soapdish). Just perfect catchy, Ramonesy poppy punk. Really, really good; this song totally sticks in my head. I actually heard from the singer a few years back when he saw my old playlists online. The band may have gone their separate ways but they have definitely left behind one great xmas ditty!

I Caught My Girlfriend Kissing Santa

The second band is Size 14 and the song was on the 1997 Drive-Thru Records compilation A Punk and Ska Christmas Gone Wrong. Neither punk nor ska, this song is full-on bubblegum hair metal (though it does remind be of the late, lamented Celebrity Skin). One year when I played this on my show I got a call from a guy who was listening while driving and almost drove off the road he was laughing so hard. He called to request it pretty much every year after that. I guess Size 14 had a song called "Claire Danes Poster" that a few people might have heard and the singer now does his own thing as Linus of Hollywood.

Mrs. Claus (lyrics not safe for work or small children)

Despite the fact that this song is extremely juvenile I can't help but enjoy it.

Comments:
Jesus, "Mrs. Claus" is absolutely priceless. Thanks again for the music this season!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?